Sometimes your schedule gets so busy that you just don’t have time to eat a full meal. Trust me, I’ve been there before! Instead of stopping at the vending machine and grabbing another Pop-Tart or bag of chips to keep you going, pack one or two of these healthy snacks before you head out for the day. Not only will they keep you full, they won’t leave you feeling tired and crashing from a sugar high!
- Almonds: Almonds are packed with healthy monounsaturated fat, protein, and fiber, all which help you stay full. They’re also small, making them easy to carry around with you in case you start feeling hungry during the day. Try to eat unsalted whole almonds to get the biggest bang for your buck. Fifteen to 20 will do the trick for a quick snack so don’t feel like you need to bring the whole can with you!
- Hummus: Hummus is filled with protein and fiber making it an ideal snack to curb your hunger and help you manage your weight. Pair it with a few pretzels and it becomes a perfect on-the-go snack! Some brands even sell pre-made hummus/pretzel combination packs so keep an eye out for them in your local grocery store to make your life even easier.
- Greek yogurt: This type of yogurt is a great source of protein and will keep you feeling full throughout the day. It also provides lots of healthy bacteria that keep your digestive system in check. The options are endless for Greek yogurt brands. Some common choices are Chobani (not my fave, but lots of people love it), Fage (delicious, but a bit expensive), and Dannon Oikos (my go-to choice). If possible, try to stay with the 0% fat options that make it extra healthy, but still delicious.
- Fruit: This should be a no-brainer and a daily snack! You can easily bring any type of fruit. My husband and I bring either apples, bananas, pears, peaches, or grapes. To make things easier, I slice up the apples or pears and put them in a container. This way they’re a no mess snack that you can eat on the go.
- Granola-type bars: This is the quintessential on-the-go snack. They’re easy to pack and even easier to eat with one hand. Just make sure you check the label before you buy a box. Many products are loaded with sugar and aren’t as healthy as they seem! Products like KIND Bars, Lara Bars, Odwalla Bars, and Clif Bars (probably my favorite) are perfect to keep in your purse or bag. Clif also makes a kid version called ZBars that I love to eat as an adult (I haven’t been able to grow out of some of my childish habits, but it’s totally ok). If you’re looking to make this a meal replacement option, just add in a piece of fruit or some veggies to give yourself a little extra fullness. Just remember not to do this too often! You need real food, not some pre-made granola bars, to keep you healthy and full.
Now it’s your turn! What’s your favorite on the go snack?