It’s that time of year. Thanksgiving has passed and now cakes, cookies, and candy are lurking around every corner in every cubicle. You’ve probably already been invited to at least three different parties (whether it’s in the office or outside) and all you see everywhere is gingerbread cookies and eggnog.
This is the hardest time of year for me because I have a serious sweet tooth. I want nothing more than to eat everything I see in front of me. At the same time, I’ve been working really hard towards my fitness goals and I don’t want to ruin them by loading up on 10 pounds of sugar cookies. So, here are 5 tips to help you enjoy the holidays without gaining all that excess weight!
1. Use the three bite rule. Instead of going crazy on all the desserts that are at your office holiday party, pick a few of your favorites and limit yourself to just three bites. This is great because you still get to taste the yummy desserts without all the guilt that comes with eating a piece of pie, six cookies, a cupcake, and drinking a hot chocolate (not like I would do that or anything -_-).
2. Offer to make a healthy option. Instead of bringing a dessert like eveyrone else, offer to bring a healthy snack option. Maybe you could make your vegetable platter look like Santa’s village or turn strawberries into cute winter hats. Or, bring a fruit dish that’s shaped like a… fruit dish. Any healthy treat will work no matter what shape or size it is! You could even check out Pinterest for some awesome ideas!
3. Bring in your own food and eat some of it before the party. Instead of starving yourself and then diving headfirst into all the goodies that people brought, bring in your own food. Eat some of it before the party so that you’re not as hungry when you get there. This will help you stop from binge eating like crazy once that sugar hits your lips.
4. Politely decline. I know this one isn’t going to be anyone’s favorite, but sometimes you just need to politely decline the invitation. If you’ve had your fair share of holiday parties and don’t want to eat another snowman shaped snack, there’s no harm in saying no. Your waistline will definitely be happy.
5. Make sure to keep exercising. Whether you decide to go crazy for the holidays or just attend one party with a few snacks, you have to keep exercising. Don’t let yourself get too lazy and fall out of your wonderful gym habits. Keeping up with exercising will help you continue to feel focused towards reaching your goal. So, get your butt back in the gym!
Now, it’s your turn! What’s your favorite holiday treat to bring to parties?